National Gallery of Armenia is situated in Republic Square of Yerevan.It was founded in1921. Currently among the funds of collections there are about 25.000 canvases that represent basically Armenian and European painting. Gallery exhibites the works of such famous artists as Tintoretto, August Rodin, Peter Paul Rubens, Gustave Courbet, Marc Chagall, and Armenian painters: Hovhannes Aivasovsky, Minas Avetisyan, Martiros Saryan, Harutyun Kalents and others. The National Gallery is one of the largest galleries in the territory of CIS countries and with it’s collection of Armenian paintings it is the largest one in the world.
Last admission - 17:00
Last admission - 16:15
Adults - 800 AMD
Schoolchildren, Students, Pensioners - 300 AMD
Children (7 and under), Art Students, Artists Union Members, Veterans Disabled, Museum Workers, Delegations, Servicemen - Free
Armenian -3500 AMD
Russian, English, Italian, French - 5000 AMD
Entrance is free on last Saturdays of each month for all the visitors of the National Gallery of Armenia.
Guided tours for groups on appointment two days prior to the visit. Tel.: (+37410) 567472
State museum of nature of Armenia is a unique in the region with its collections and museum values. The main collection of the museum includes special items of biodiversity of Armenian flora and fauna, which have been preserved almost without changes since last geological era, are extinct or rare and included in the Red Books of Armenia and International Society of Nature Protection.
The collection reflects the peculiarities of our country's nature and the riches of the Earth's interior. The main fund includes flora, fauna, geological, paintings photos. Skeletons, skins and stuffed designs of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, insects, arachnoids, shells of invertebrates, slices of trees, herbariums, samples of fossil plants and animals, minerals, oil paintings, drawings and so on.
"Erebuni" historical-archeological reserve-museum was opened on October 21st, 1968 on the occasion of 2750th anniversary of Erebuni-Yerevan fortress-town foundation. This ancient site is a historical-archeological reserve-museum with a surface of 60 hectares. The architect of the building of «Erebuni» museum is Shmavon Azatyan, the sculptor - Ara Harutunyan. The reserve-museum has 2 branch museums: an early agricultural settlement of Shengavit situated on the bank of lake Yerevan and a town-fortress of Teyshebaini (Karmir blur), built by Rusa II in the middle of the VII century BC, which is located in the southwest suburb of Yerevan, on the bank of the Hrazdan river.
There are 10936 archeological items in the depositories of the museum, but only 662 ones are exhibited. The museum has science-research, funds preservation, excursion and mass arrangement departments, laboratories of rehabilitation and anthropology. Annually 15000 tourists visit the museum. To set up a center of Urartology on the basis of «Erebuni» museum courses of the Urartian language are held at the museum.
The Museum of History of the city of Yerevan was founded in 1931.
Being subordinated to the communal department of the city council, it was initially called Communal Museum, and then starting 1936 it was renamed the Museum of History of the city of Yerevan. At the moment of its foundation the museum occupied one of rooms on the 2nd floor of the building of the fire department. In 1936 the museum was moved to the Blue Mosque (Gyoy-Jamy), where it functioned about 60 years.
In 1994-1997 the museum was located in the building of the girls' gymnasium Hripsimyan, and in 1997-2005 in the building of the secondary school N1 after Shahumyan.
In 2005 the museum settled in the newly built building of the City Hall of Yerevan, which represents an integrated architectural complex. Thus, after a long journey, substantially and firmly, deservedly and with full right, the museum settled in the new building, constructed according to the creative thought and talents of the architect Jim Torosyan: the building conforms to the fame and rich collection of the museum, collected values and the ancient history of the city.
Over 89700 items are housed today in the Museum of History of the city of Yerevan, which present material and spiritual culture of the capital from ancient times to this day/ our time.
There are archaeological, ethnographical, numismatic, fine art, written sources, photographic and other collections kept in the museum, which tell about the past and present of the capital and its citizens. Three scientific and exhibition divisions function in the museum, which since the first day of foundation have collected, studied and exhibited items elucidating the history of Yerevan.
A scientific council functions associated with the museum. Greatest thinkers and artists of their times were among members of the council: the architects Al. Tamanyan, T. Toromanyan, N. Buniatyan, M. Mazmanyan, the painters M. Saryan, G. Gyurjyan, Taragros, the sculptor A. Sargsyan, the scientists St. Lisitsyan, E. Shahaziz, S. Barkhudaryan, B. Arakelyan, T. Hakobyan and others.
Man lived in the territory of Yerevan even in prehistoric times. Fresh water of the river Hrazdan, soft and warm climate created favorable conditions for life and its development: the eloquent proof of this are various ancient tools found in the Yerevan cave, the age of which is assessed to be more than 100 thousand years.
One of most ancient and well known fenced settlements of Western Asia, the settlement Shengavit, dates back to the 4-3-th millenniums B.C. Cultic hearths with ornaments and statuettes, two-color black and red polished pottery, millstones, remnants of cereal crops found during archeological excavations are kept in the museum. Yerevan is the 12th capital of Armenia. It was founded by the king Argishti the First in 782 B.C. and was named it Erebuni, the sounds of which were then alternated and its name became Erevan. Frescoes, cuneiform records and many other items kept in the museum are conclusive evidence of the rich ancient history of the city.
Ceramic vessels for beer, found during archaeological excavations in Karmir Blur, stand out in the collection; they testify that even in the 7th century B.C. Armenians drank beer, which was later confirmed by the Greek historian Xenophon. The settlement of Karmir Berd dates back to the 1st millennium, where a rich archaeological collection was found: bronze belts, ceramic vessels, stone idols, arrowheads, knives, jewelry and other items. The items excavated in the ancient settlement Avan-Arinj represent the Hellenistic culture of the city.
The churches Poghos-Petros (5th century), Katoghikeh Surb Astvatsatsin (13th century), Surb Hovhannes (17th century), Surb Sarkis (17th century) functioned in the medieval Yerevan.
Iron gates of destroyed churches, frescoes, ritual vessels, curtains, a bell (1962), а 13th century model of the church Katoghikeh and other relics are kept in the museum.
The families Melik-Aghamalyan, Geghamyan, Afrikyan, Ter-Avetikyan, Yesapyan and other made a valuable contribution to the management, development of trade and industry of the city; items presenting them are included in the collection of the museum. In 1834 the Russian emperor Nikolay the First granted a golden clock to Melik-Aghamalyan's family (kept in the museum) in recognition of the substantial assistance provided to the Russian army in the course of the Russian-Persian war.
Letter-melting and printing machines are of big interest and stand out among the collection items of the museum, and they have also interesting history of origin. Mkhitaryans founded in Vienna a printing house and a separate letter-melting workshop, where new samples of letters for Armenian, Latin and other languages were cast. Mkrtich A. Khrimyan (Khrimyan Ayrik) acquired the letter-melting machine from Mkhitaryans and used in the printing house of Varaga Vank. Later it was moved to Ejmiadzin, and was operated in the printing house N1 of Yerevan during the soviet period. In 1960 the machine found its refuge in the museum of history of Yerevan. The printing machine has made a similar journey; it was used for printing of the newspaper “Khosq” under the editorship of Arshavir Melikyan.
By efforts of the famous painter M. Saryan, P. Terlemezyan, S. Arakelyan and G. Gyurjyan an exhibition dedicated to Yerevan was organized in the yard of the Museum of History of Yerevan in 1938; after its closure the exhibited works were granted to the museum, thus enriching its collection of fine arts. Besides high artistic value, these canvases have big documentary significance.
The collection of stamps of the museum contained in several albums was published during the years of the First Republic. The stamps are of high artistic value and reflect the centuries-old culture and spiritual life of our nation (painter - Arshak Fetvachyan). The stamps were printed in Paris. Haik Gavukchyan's collection of stamps, who was a great expert-philatelist and a devoted citizen, was awarded a bronze medal on the exhibition of philately organized in New York in 1936.
Later on these stamps were granted to the executive committee of the city council of Yerevan, which transferred them to the museum of history of Yerevan. The museum is an entertainment place for people of all ages, occupations and preferences. The work experience with visitors of the museum has gained a new application in these latter days. The connection between schools and the museum continues: it is maintained and developed gaining a new spirit and contents.
The museum is in permanent connection with both old-timer citizens of Yerevan and the young generation. The list of publications authored by employees of the museum enlarges year after year...
The museum was founded by the law accepted by the Parliament of the first republic of Armenia. It was called National anthropological museum-library. On August 20th, 1921 it was opened for the visitors. It was formed on the basis of collections of Caucasian Armenian Ethnographic company, museums of Armenian antiquities of Nor Nakhchevan, Antiquity Depository of Ani, Vagharshapat Matenadaran.
The national collection consisted of about 400000 items is kept in the State Museum of Armenian History, completing the culture and history of Armenia coming from pre-historic times.
The museum of the statesman and politician, the RA National Hero Karen Demirchyan was founded on January 9, 2001 by the decision of the RA Government. The solemn ceremony of opening of the main exhibition took place on April 20, 2007 on the event of K. Demirchyan’s 75th birthday. The museum was founded with the aim of studying and illustrating K. Demirchyan’s life and activity,perpetuation of his memory. The task of the museum is to bring up the younger generation in patriotic spirit holding up the life of K. Demirchyan as an example.
There are rich document materials in the museum: documents, photos, video films, personal items, governmental awards, as well as presents received from relatives, colleagues, such as works of art, gold Olympic medals and so on. A part of them is displayed in two halls designed in modern style. The visitors of the museum have the opportunity to get acquainted with the life and activity of Demirchyan’s companions-in arms who worked with him side by side under his leadership contributing to the development of the country.
Thematic exhibitions are often held in the museum: agricultural development in Armenia in 1970-1990, the history of creation of the Yerevan Metro, the history of «Yerevan-Erebuni» celebration and so on the aim of which is to summarize the activity of K.Demirchyan.
At the exhibition one can also find the furniture and items of the study of the first secretaries of the central committee of the Armenian Communist party used by K. Demirchyan and the previous first secretaries. Karen Demirchyan worked at the desk shown at the exhibition during the time when he was elected the Chairman of the national Assembly as well. The museum has a library of political literature where the visitors can familiarize themselves in details with the history of Soviet and post-Soviet Armenia. The personal archive of K. Demirchyan kept in the funds of the museum is of a particular interest.
The benevolent foundation “Karen Demirchyan” and the museum jointly published books, brochures, catalogues illustrating the life and activity of Karen Demirchyan. The sequel of the Soviet Armenia chronology which includes the years of 1980-1990 is being prepared for publication.
The museum has an assembly hall where various events are held: scientific conferences, disputes, press conferences, meetings with representatives of science, culture, justice and politicians.
The family of K. Demirchyan always takes part in the activity of the museum, particularly the Chair of the Board of “Karen Demirchyan” benevolent foundation Rima Demirchyan.
The Yerevan Museum of Modern Art was founded in 1972 by the efforts of Henrik Igityan, Yerevan Mayor G. Hasratyan and the best Armenian painters.
As a specialized museum of modern art this establishment was the first not only in the former Soviet Union, but also in the whole socialist block. Within the following 20 years the museum kept its uniqueness. The first exhibition of the museum completely consisted of the works of the Armenian artists of the 1960s granted to the museum by them.
The main exhibits of the museum are the works of Minas Avetisyan, Ashot Hovhannisyan, Martin Petrosyan, Hakob Hakobyan, Gayane Khachatryan, Vruyr Galstyan, the Elibekyan brothers, Harutyun Lakents, Rudolph Khachatryan, Ashot Bayandur and other outstanding artists.
In 2007 a new building was allocated to the museum where the works of the artists of middle and younger generation are exhibited.
The artists of the 1980s such as Kamo Nigaryan, Marine Dilanyan, Albert Hakobyan, Mnavel Baghdasaryan, Arevik Arevshatyan, Ruben Grigoryan, Armen Gevorgyan, Sona Banoyan, Vahan Rumelyan, Moko Khachatryan, Gagik Ghazanchyan, Tigran Matulyan, Mushegh Mkhitaryan, Teni Vardanyan, Gabriel Manukyan, Sargis Hamalbashyan, Artur and Ararat Sargsyans and others are exhibited there. In 2004 a benefactor Grigor Muradyan granted the museum the works of well-known American-Armenian artist and sculptor Emil Kazaz.
Headed by Henrik Igityan the staff of the museum prepared a number of albums, such as “Kochar”, “A.Bazhbeuk-Melikyan”, “From Hovnatanyan to Minas”, ”Museum”, ”Armenian palette I”, “Armenian palette II”, “Minas Avetisyan”, "Vruir Galstyan”, “Ashot Hovhannisyan”, as well as individual catalogues of the artists of 1980s. Now the catalogue of “Yerevan Modern Art Museum” is being prepared for publication.
The museum is open from 11.00 to 18.00
Day off – Monday
Entrance fee – 500 AMD
In Armenian – 2000 AMD
In foreign languages – 2500 AMD
The third and fourth Fridays of each month the entrance is free of charge for pupils and students.
The museum was founded in 1984. The collection of professor A. Abrahamyam represents the best period of Russian art history, the basis of which are economical and moral changes of the 19-20th centuries. The collection of the museum includes more than 120 paintings and drawings. The hall representing dramatic art, where clothes and decorations are exhibited, attracts special attention and creates high spirit. The works of art by Korovin, Serov, Arkhipov are worth special attention.
The museum was founded in 1970 as a museum dedicated to the victory in the World War II (architect R. Israelyan). The plan of the building resembles Hripsime temple simultaneously serving as the pedestal for Mother Armenia statue.The museum has more than 30000 exhibits. On the first floor materials about Armenian soldiers in the World War II, as well as personal items of Marshal Hovhannes Baghramyan are displayed. In the exhibition hall of the second floor documentary about Artsakh war is displayed: documents, photos, material describing martial activities.
In 2002 the USA Gafechean museum foundation opened in Yerevan “Cafesjian museum-foundation” with the aim of creating a museum of contemporary arts and a cultural center. The Republic of Armenia allocated an area and the half-built area of Cascade to the Cafesjian museum-foundation. While founding the GMF, Gerard L.Cafesjian passed his private collection of works of art to the museum designed by David Hotson, the architect from New York. Gerard Cafesjian museum will serve as the national center for art creativity and self-expression and tightly cooperate with the art-loving community. The main aim of the museum is to show world art of painting.
It is a unique cultural center where samples of decorative-applied art and Fine arts are kept and exhibited. In the end of 1930s headed by the ethnographer and folk-collector Habetnak Babayan they founded Folk Art House, the collection of which became the foundation for creating the museum.
The museum was founded in 1978.The exhibits give an idea of the stages of Armenian folk art development. The collection includes samples of wood, stone engraving, metal art design, ceramics, embroidery, miniatures, carpets, rugs, paintings.
The museum was founded in 1977. The main aim of the museum is to collect, keep and develop the rich traditions of the national woodcraft. The exhibition consists of sectors of sculpture, applied art and ancient culture. The authors are painters, sculptors and masters of applied art. Thematic and authors exhibitions, cultural actions, lectures are held here. Educational and training programs are implemented in marzes (provinces) and in Artsakh.
Museum of literature and art after Yeghishe Charents
The museum was founded in 1921 initially as the museum of literature 9founder-Ye. Shahaziz). It functioned in the museum of cultural-historical museum of Armenia. In 1954 the museum was formed on the base of materials of museums of literature, drama and the musical laboratory of R.Melikyan.
Till 1962 the museum was named museum of literature and art of Arm SSR Academy of Science, then of the Arm SSR Ministry of Culture. Since 1967 it has been named after Ye.Charents. The samples of Armenian literature from Sayat Nova up to contemporary period and the manuscrtipts, letters of art devotees, their personal and scenic things, photos ,playbills, phonograms, sculptures, paintings, personal libraries, musical instruments-all these samples are united in the museum.
More than a thousand personal archives and collections are kept in the museum nowadays including more than one million museum samples. The exhibition called “From Sayat Nova to Charents” is exhibited in the museum permanently. In parallel with the permanent exhibition various thematic exhibitions as wellas literature and musical parties, lectures, meetings with workers of culture are organized here.
In April, 1953 at Moskovyan,40 in Yerevan by the project of architect Grigor Aghababyan the museum of Hovh. Toumanyan was opened, where more than 18000 exhibits are kept carefully. One of the greatest values of the museum -Hovh.Toumanyan's personal exceptional and various library consisted of about 8 000 volumes – is kept in a separate hall on the second floor. The copy of Tiflis «Vernatun» impresses greatly. One of the attractive corners of the museum is the panorama of « Lori gorge», the view of which is accompanied by the music from «Anoush» opera.
To reach this museum, situated on the eminence in the center of Yerevan you should surmount 54 stairs - this number symbolize the years of life of the greatest Armenian.
In accordance with the decree of the Council of Ministers of Soviet Armenia, dated February 8, 1964, the house-museum of Yeghishe Charents was founded in Mashtots avenue,17 (formerly Lenin avenue,45) in Yerevan: in this building the poet lived in 1935-1937.
It is the center studying the poet's life, his literature and culture, public and political activity, where the poet’s relics achieved us: personal things, manuscripts, documents, books, photos and other things. The most dedicatory sector of the museum is the reminiscence home where everything is preserved and exhibited as it used to be during his living there.
It is situated in Zarobyan street (former Plekhanov street), in parallel to Baghramyan avenue. In this house the writer lived the last ten years of his life. The house-museum was opened on October 31, 1963. The exhibition consists of 2 parts - literature and reminiscence.
The poet’s study, where the visitor can see the Master’s writing table, his sofa specially made for him are presented in the museum. There are old Armenian publications in the poet's library. A lot of rare in Armenia books you can find only in Isahakyan's library. More than 10 thousand values, describing Isahakyan’s life and work are kept in the museum, which are scientifically studied and presented to the public.
The museum was founded in1963 in the house where the composer lived during the last years of his life. On November 25 1967 the house-museum was opened for the visitors. There are 1317 museum items here: the composer’s personal things, documents, notes, manuscripts and photos, which give information about the life and activity of Spendiaryan.
The reminiscence room has been restored as it used to be during the poet's life. Made by the composer musical instrument called «Spendiarophone», the only extant playbill of the first Yerevan performance of “Almast” opera (1933) are on permanent exhibition.
Yervand Kochar museum was opened in 1984 in the place of Maestro’s workshop. The museum gives full information about the whole creative life of the artist: paintings, graphics, sculptures of "Tiflis", "Paris", "Yerevan" periods, models of monument sculptures, videos.
Kochar's prospective works of art, considered to be an achievement of modern art, are kept in "Pompidu" center in Paris and in Yervand Kochar museum.
Rare documents telling about Kochar’s relations with the great representatives of avant-garde are also displayed in the museum. Yervand Kochar museum is an important center of studying and spreading of historical avant-garde in the region. The works of Armenian artist were exhibited beside the ones of such famous artists as Picasso, Braque, Arp, Brancusi, Leger, de Chirico and others. Together with them, as well as with Duchan, Miro, Kandinski, Moholy-Nagy, Delauney in 1936 he signed “Dimansionism manifesto”, which was the herald of the newest aesthetic principles of the time.
The house-museum was opened in 1976 during the life of the artist with the collection of 50his works granted by him. Presently, 240 museum samples are displayed in the museum completing the main stages of the Master’s creative activity: from the first student works to the paintings, drawings of the late period up to his last canvas "A fairytale".
M.Saryan's paintings of pre-revolutionary period (1895-1917) and of the Armenian period (1921-1972) including the series of paintings of the period of 1904-1907 called "Fairytales and dreams", his masterpieces such as "At the well: a got day", "Self-portrait", "A walking woman", "A night landscape", "A still-life picture with Egyptian masks", "Oriental flowers", the self-portrait "Three ages" are on the permanent exhibition of the museum.
The museum was founded in 1988 after the first exhibition of Parajanov’s works held in People’s art Museum of Armenia. In the same year Sargis Parajanyants was allotted two adjacent constructions for dwelling and for the museum in “Dzoragyugh” ethnic quarter. The museum was opened in 1991.
The main part of the collection are Parajanov’s works: drawings, texts for films, dolls, hats, as well as his furnishings and personal items brought from his house in Tiflis on his own free will when he was alive.
The letters of the director written to Lily Brik, Tarkovsky, Nikulin and to other workers of culture are kept in the museum. 700 works of art are included in the exhibition. Certain segments of Parajanov's homes in Tiflis and Kiev were restored in the two halls of reminiscence. The majority of his works were created in the years of his imprisonment.
The museum organized 56 exhibitions in Cannes, Salonika, Moscow, Rome, London, Los Angeles, Tehran, Beijing, Paris and other places.